I was ask once if I had an advise for filmmakers. At the time I only say what I knew, the best advise any one can give you ¨take a camera and shot¨
This advise is really the only thing you need, but if you need some motivation, here are some easy advises on how to make your first film. Enjoy!
1. Get real! If you are serious about film you want to talk about something you understand, NO ONE should ever, and no one goes about shooting in the dark because there is no light! Is the same thing with your writing! If you don´t know it! Don´t write it! If you know about sports, do something with sports, if you experiences something fenomenal tell that experience! No one is ever going to believe you know about homeless if you where never one.
2. BE simple! I read on raindance blog, and its is true as it gets! If you are shooting your film for the first time, be simple about what you want, unless you where born in a family call Hilton, and have a full platinum to spend, be as simple as you can with your location. keep it about 3 scenes, not to many characters and try to use simple locations, such as home or simply a patio. One of my friends use oranges and a kitchen! It was funny, creative and honest! You get the idea!
3. Be creative! hey if you can make your room look like a space ship using carton boards and some sheets! you are ready as filmmaker and let alone next production designer for Gondri or Spilberg! It is simple! just use what you have and a try not spend in things you don´t need.
4. ACTORS. Not every one has the access to hire John Travolta or Zac Effron for their first film, but your friends, that one girl who really wants to be an actress may be just great for your first film, remember working with people who like what you like increases your chances of getting more serious and they will be more reliable than the friend you have to ask 10 times before he show up in set fill with beers and is asking to leave all ready! *get to know people like you
5. EDITING and sound. So this is the deal! you are not getting good films because you are not getting good sound! This tip may just save your production. When shooting make sure your voices, sounds or anything you are shooting has good sound, this will not only save you from re-shooting but it will also save you from hiring some one that is going to charge you to use a software that is not going to fix the problem to its fullest any way! Remember sound it is the most important thing in your production! trust me!
PLUS tip: know when to end! Its is just a film! you will make more and more! so get ready to kill your babies, cry the fact that you can not re shoot something and celebrate that one thing that came out beyond your expectations and why not to celebrate you made your first film!
Follow me @AlexandersonBL